I’ve been eyeing MADE’s First Day Dress pattern since Dana first posted about it earlier in the year. I probably (definitely) didn’t need to add another pattern to my collection, but this one is so cute and – in the swing dress view – has excellent twirl factor. Elena’s all about twirling at the moment, so I knew this one would be right up her ally.
The pattern provides a number of variations – a-line dress and top, peplum top, swing dress, sleeves and no sleeves, lined and unlined. You can mix it up as you like. The pattern runs from size 2-10.
As I usually do before committing to a pattern, I was reading reviews of the pattern and checking out what others had done with it and I noticed a few comments about the dresses being slim fitting and perhaps a bit on the small side. I had been planning to make Elena a lined swing dress first up – and then completely chickened out. It is a lot of work to get wrong.
I decided to make up an a-line version in a cotton fabric I am not particularly attached to – just to see how the fit worked out. I made a lined size 3 with sleeves. I used a coordinating hair elastic for the button loop instead of elastic cord. The lining is pink poplin. The whole thing’s pretty bright and happy.
It was a challenging project with attaching the lining neatly giving me the most grief. Precision is the name of the game with this dress. I messed up more times than I can count. I’m going to try a different technique for the back opening next time – I feel like the one on this dress is too wide.
In the end it all worked out well though, and I learned a lot about the way the pattern comes together. Elena’s very happy with the dress and it fits her beautifully.
After all that, I’ve now got the courage to try a swing version!