Elena is the most frequent recipient of my knitted goods so I decided that the first of these little hats should be for Hugo. I knitted him the toddler size. The yarn is Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury 10 ply in Lake. I had some left from some of last year’s projects – you can’t argue with stash busting. My Ravelry notes are here.
I had very few problems with this pattern – my only real difficulty was with the sskp in the decreases for the crown. Somehow I read the pattern to mean I should mark the stitch by putting a marker on my needle, rather than using a removable marker to mark the actual stitch itself. I ended up with the decorative lines of stitching going every which way and had to rip it back.
As luck would have it, the next day I found a great tip reblogged over at not your average crochet on how to insert a lifeline into your knitting – a thread pulled through your row of stitches every now and again which protects you from disaster should you make a mistake or drop a stitch. Definitely check it out if you’re a knitter. Definitely.
Needless to say, I made myself a lifeline before attempting my decreases again.
I blocked the hat gently by spraying it with water and stretching it over a balloon inflated to the same diameter as Hugo’s head. I find Luxury 10 ply grows a lot with a firm blocking and I didn’t want to make it too big. I’ll save that for when Hugo grows and I want to stretch the hat out a bit.
I think, because I blocked it over a round balloon instead of flat, it’s not as pointy as it could be. I don’t mind. It suits him.
I was really happy with how this little hat for Hugo turned out. It must be pretty comfortable – he happily wore it for me despite our warm afternoon.
Have a restful weekend. We’ll just be hanging out, doing more chicken preparation, probably some knitting…and lots and lots of washing.